Sunday, July 25, 2010

Happy Fish?

It has been a long long time since I last wrote about my fish (http://thinkingallowed1.blogspot.com/2009/12/delay.html). Just in case anyone is wondering whether I am still interested in fish, I can assure you 100% that it is still one of my favourite hobbies. (Mathematically inclined reader please bear with me and do not question how I quantify that value.) In fact I have spent quite a portion of my time last week doing works related to my fish pond. A very free week? Exactly the opposite. I needed to do something special in order to unwind after a hectic schedule each day. Perhaps even my fish symphatised me by rushing towards me every time I walked near the pond. So, in order to reciprocate their kindness, I did some research on how to entertain fish. I found a site on how to create favourite places for fish to hang around using the PVC pipes cut into short pieces (http://aquatopiaforum.com/index.php?showtopic=585). So, it seems these short pieces of pipes can provide shelter and a complex tunnel system can stimulate the 'dynamism' of the fish. The structure provides a happy environment for the fish. And, even if the fish are threatened by one reason or another, they can always retreat into the PVC bunkers for protection. So you see, a simple DIY modification with some old pieces of supposedly useless PVC pipes that I do not bear to throw away,  has resulted in some sort of transformation for the fish (excuse me for being a bit carried away by my involvement with the "transformational Leadership' training). Wait a minute.....Can fish be happy---the way we define happiness in human beings? Can fish symphatise somebody? Have my hectic schedule plus the recent experience with the film 'Toy Story 3' transformed my imagination that has blurred the boundary between the reality and the imaginary world? Anyway, that does not matter much. What that is more important is that, I have added value to the pond without hurting the fish, and MADE MYSELF HAPPY by thinking that I have made the fish happy.

3 comments:

hsienyun said...

last month ? haha...they are happily living together with u dad..haha

khoobook said...

There is a famous Chinese Classic about whether or not a fish can be happy.An old piece from legend of Zhuang Zi.One day Zhuang Zi saw fishes swimming lesurely in a pond,he said:"Fishes outing freely,they must be happy souls". His student reacted:"Sir,you are not the fish,how you know the fish is happy?".Zhuang Zi replied:"You are not me,how you know that I don't know the fish is happy?" An interesting conversation.We sometimes unintentionally reflect our happiness on objects.When we are happy,we reflect our happiness on the fish so the fish appears to be happy too.Likewise,when we are sad,we reflect our sadness on candle and the candle seems to drop "tears".In arts,this phenomenon is called "emotional transfer".Its a good way of stress management.The fishes are lucky to be in your pond.They now can play hide-and-seek.

Thinking Allowed said...

That's absolutely true. How well commented. Thanks.