Sunday, July 13, 2008

Reflection Near A Fish Pond

It was during the half an hour break of our individual presentation session on the 10th of July that I took a stroll out of the hotel to breathe some fresh air and have a quiet moment alone. Right in front me was the majestic Petronas Twin Towers piercing into the sky. But, what impressed me more was a tiny fish pond behind me. I sat down to admire the fish that seemed to be so happy and carefree. I did know whether the fish could feel happy but I did not care. As long as I could imagine that they were happy, I was happy.
At that moment, I recalled reading an interesting book some years ago (Hyperspace by Micho Kaku) and remembered vividly what the author wrote about one of his happiest childhood memories. He was mesmerised by the brilliantly coloured carps swimming slowly beneath the water lilies. Indeed he was intrigued he could sit only a few inches from the fish, yet be separated from them by an immense chasm. And, the separation between the two 'universes' was only by the thinnest barrier in the form of the water surface. As I was taking some photographs with my handphone, I pondered further -- I could at least see the surface of the water that formed the barrier. What worried me was the unseen yet not too difficult to imagine barriers that resulted in the creation of many different 'universes' among the people. Reflecting on the lectures that I have attended on the earlier part of the course, I realised many of these were supposed to be tools to tear down these barriers if only they could be put into practice successfully. Before I could think further, I realised it was time for me to rush back into the room to avoid the risk of having marks being deducted for being late and hence being declared not too competent. Anyway, at this particular moment I still do not know whether I am competent or not. That decision is beyond me now.

No comments: